Preventing Bed Bugs When You Travel
When staying in a hotel or anywhere away from home, be aware that you could take bed bugs home with you. Prevent a bed bug infestation by following these instructions and keep your vacation memories happy.
Inspect The Room for Signs of Bed Bugs:
Check for small black (peppered) stains on bedding, bed frames, and mattresses. Pay special attention to cracks and seams. Lift the mattress and box spring and look on underside seams. Learn more about inspecting for bed bugs here.
Inspect the luggage rack (if provided) and use this to keep all luggage elevated off of the floor. Never put your suitcase on the bed or floor.
When you get home follow these steps:
- Initially put your luggage outside, including purses, diaper bags, and portable cribs.
- Empty the contents such as clothes into plastic bags.
- Wash and dry all clothes and linens on the highest heat possible.
- Place empty suitcase into large black plastic bag.
- Place the bagged suitcase in the sun to cook for several days.
- Flip the bagged suitcase twice a day to ensure thorough heating.
- Keep suitcase sealed in bag until next use.